At Laura Vicuña Pre-Kindergarten, we create a safe and stimulating environment in which children can develop their spiritual, physical, intellectual, social, emotional, and creative selves. Each day is rich in discovery as our children work with letters and numbers, words and pictures, ideas and things. While we give each child space in which to grow, and tailor our teaching to the needs of each child, we emphasize essential skills such as language development, reading readiness, beginning math, and social skills through activities in art, music, science, language, indoor and outdoor play, field trips, and special visitors to the classroom. We also work to build moral values, self-esteem, and problem-solving skills.
During the school year , we expand and increase each child’s:
• world of people, experiences, and things
• skills in social relationships and communication
• competencies in dealing with emotions
• body mastery and physical coordination
• self-reliance and self-direction
• aesthetic expression, appreciation, and experience
• sense of security through consistent care, a steady sequence of learning, and continuity of experience.
A SAMPLE DAY
Each day includes, but is not limited to:
• Our morning circle of calendar, prayer, schedule, and conversation about our day.
One day each week Italian classes are taught at this time.
• Free choice time during which the children rotate through structured and non-structured stations which include a
block area, art center, computer, reading loft, science and drama centers, sand table, and a spring garden center.
• Morning snack, outdoor or indoor play.
• Story time and/or music circle, followed by lunch,
outdoor play, and rest time.
• A varied large group learning activity.
We frequently invite special visitors to reinforce our curriculum. Past visitors have included a dentist, a beekeeper, a harpist, a jazz band, a pediatrician, and the zoo mobile. During our day, we allow for flexibility in our basic schedule in order to meet the children’s changing needs.
ENJOYING THE NORTH BEACH NEIGHBORHOOD
North Beach is a unique “village” within the city and offers fascinating field trips within walking distance. The class has visited the post office, the fire station, the library, and Joe DiMaggio Playground. A trip to Liguria Bakery to see how focaccia is made is always a class favorite. Fisherman’s Wharf and The Aquarium by The Bay are also within walking distance. A weekly walk to our community garden located above the Broadway tunnel is a valuable teaching tool that engages students by providing a dynamic environment to observe, discover, experiment, nurture and learn.